Book Review | The Name of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Hey Everyone,

How are you?

Last week was a birthday. I am now 24, I have also been told that I am half way to fifty, God that is a scary thought. I got some money for my birthday and a Waterstones gift card which I have already used. I will do a blog post about what I got for my birthday and also the other books that I have gotten recently.

A couple days ago I went to see The Addams Family with a friend from work. It was amazing and I highly recommend anyone to go and see it. I went to see it because of Carrie Hope Fletcher and I am really glad that I got to see her on stage. I would have loved to have stayed at the Stage Door and see her personally but I worked in a theatre before and I saw tons of actors at the end of the day and they would be exhausted after the show.

Also, I got myself a hair cut. I have had my hair long for a long time and I always find it difficult taking care of it when you have split ends or when it's damaged. So I decided to get it cut short. I like my hair short, I prefer it to be short.

Anyway moving on to the book review.


The Name of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Told in Kvothe's own voice, this is the tale of the magically gifted young man who grows to be the most notorious wizard his world has ever seen. The intimate narrative of his childhood in a troupe of traveling players, his years spent as a near-feral orphan in a crime-ridden city, his daringly brazen yet successful bid to enter a legendary school of magic, and his life as a fugitive after the murder of a king form a gripping coming-of-age story unrivaled in recent literature. A high-action story written with a poet's hand, The Name of the Wind is a masterpiece that will transport readers into the body and mind of a wizard.

Published: March 2007
Published Edition: June 2018
Publishers: Gollancz
Genre: Fantasy, Fiction

Pages: 662

Form of Reading: Paperback

Goodreads Star Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Review

I've had the book on my shelf for a couple of months and with the persuasion from a colleague, I decided to pick this up. I had no clue what the book was about. From reviews and opinions from booktubers, it seemed that the book is compared to The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson and The Lies of Loach Lamora. It was a little slow to get into but it does pick up later on in the book.

This book is a story about a story, you are following the life of a young boy to a teenager called Kvothe, he retells his life to a man named The Chronicler who documents Kvothe's life story in three days, this book being the first day, from the blurb you learn that Kvothe has many titles and as you get into his stories, you start learning how he got those names but also leaving space for the story to be developed later in the series.

Rothfuss's writing is spell bounding and enticing, his writing and his engagement of the audience really pulls you into the story. There is a scene in the book where I am literally holding my breath, you could feel the tension in that scene and even though it's a horrible scene, it's considered as one of my favourites.

I found Kvothe to be endearing but also stupid at the same time. When he is at the university, while he is among his friends he feels happy but he is only doing it because he doesn't want his friends to pity him because he is poor. He is a bit irresponsible at times when it comes to the school's rules and regulation. He is often in trouble and creates even more of a fuss when he knows he isn't the only one breaking the rules. He misses his life with his family and tries to earn money with his musical talents only to use up his earnings on alcohol. I felt his romantic relationship with a character named Denna to be lack lustre, while both characters do care for one another but I honestly feel that one of them is just keeping that person to the side while they venture off with other people.

I wished to have more of an understanding of the magic, I would love to see Kvothe learn more in The Wise Man's Fear. I have already got a copy of the book from my friend from work as he doesn't want to give it away to charity.

I highly recommend this book to anyone, if you have ever been interested in Fantasy and want to know which books to get into, you should pick this book up.

I hope you are having a lovely day

XX

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kill Me, Heal Me

Movies I Have Watched, Mention in Gilmore Girls (Day 6)

Enchanted Forest by Johanna Basford.