Book Review | The White Queen by Philippa Gregory

Hey Everyone,


The White Queen by Philippa Gregory

1464, Cousin is at war with cousin. as the house of York and Lancaster tear themselves apart...

...And Elizabeth Woodville, a young Lancastrian widow, armed only with her beauty and her steely determination, seduces and marries the charismatic warrior king, Edward Ⅳ of York.

Crowned Queen of England, surrounded by conflict, betrayal and murder, Elizabeth rises to the demands of her position, fighting tenaciously for her family's survival. Most of all she must defend her two sons, who become the central figures in a history that has confounded historians for centuries: the missing Princes in the Tower.

Set amid the tumult and intrigue of the Wars of the Roses, this is the first of a stunning new series, in which internationally bestselling author Philippa Gregory brings this extraordinary drama to vivid life through the women - beginning with Elizabeth Woodville, the White Queen. 

Published: 2009
Published Edition: April 2010
Publishers: Pocket Books
Genre: Historical Fiction, Romance

Pages: 438

Form of reading: Paperback

Goodreads Star Rating:⭐⭐⭐⭐


Review

I have recently been interested in reading more Historical Fiction, and I found it very interesting to learn about something that happened years ago and place a fictional storyline to draw you in.

I have been aware of Gregory's work since The Other Boleyn Girl but I wasn't interested in historical fiction and never took an interest. I saw the trailer for The White Princess and started watching the show only to discover about the first season The White Queen and started watching the show.

I found the book to be very formative with moments during the reign of King Edward Ⅳ, it felt more factual and even with scenes fictionalised in the book, I found it to be quite boring at parts. It felt more of chronological events that happened from the War of Roses to the end of King Richard Ⅲ reign.


The romance between Richard and Elizabeth is very minimal, I think because I watched the tv show I was expecting something in-depth and passionate between the two of them but I think it was just the writers for the show that decided to make it more enticing for the audience watch the show every week. But I did love it, I love their bond as King and Queen, and their hope for one another to be safe. Their secret meeting under the tree is probably one of my favourite scenes when Elizabeth doesn't want to be Edwards mistress and refuses to sleep with him, to me, it was a scene that shows Elizabeth is not an innocent woman and thinks about her sons and their future, and not think about her selfish needs.

I really liked the inclusion of Melusina and her story, I liked the inclusion of magic involved in this book. I liked that it was an important fact about the history of Elizabeth's mother side of the family and I really liked how very minimal it was compared to the stereotype of witchcraft.

I enjoyed the book, even though it took me a while for me to finish and also there were some moments where I was bored but it was a really good book and I do recommend it, if you have ever taken an interest in Historical Fiction I suggest Philippa Gregory.

I hope you are having a lovely day 

XX

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kill Me, Heal Me

Movies I Have Watched, Mention in Gilmore Girls (Day 6)

Enchanted Forest by Johanna Basford.