Book Review | Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman

Hey Everyone,



Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman

Sisters Gillian and Sally Owens were brought up by their two elderly guardian aunts in a world of spells and exotica. As the magical charm of their childhood wears away, they escape from this mystical mayhem - one by running away, the other by marrying.

Many years go by before strange circumstances thrust them together again, and once more they are in a place that blends the mundane and mysterious, the familiar and fantastic. Three generations of Owens women are brought together in an experience of unexpected insight and revelation, teaching all of them that such perceptions are rare and wonderful and - to be sure - practical.


Published: 1995
Published Edition: April 2002
Publishers: Vintage
Genre: Fiction, Fantasy, Magical Realism, Romance

Form of Reading: Paperback

Pages: 279

Goodreads Star Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Review

I have been a huge fan of the movie for years and I had no idea that it was based off a book. When I finally got the book in my hands, I started reading it immediately and I loved it.

This review is going to be a comparison from the book and the movie because there are elements in the book that don't relate to the movie and there are changes in the movie that you don't get to see in the book, does that make sense? I doubt it.


We start off the book following the young girls Gillian and Sally, they've lost their parents and have moved into their Aunts house. As the girls get older, Gillian gets frustrated with the town and decides to run away with her fiance, which she then break up with and moves on. While Sally meets Michael, she falls in love and has two children. Now if you watched the movie, it's no surprise that Michael dies but the difference from the movie and the book is, in the book when Sally and Michael were together, they moved into the Aunts house and stayed there until after Michael's death. Sally then moves the girls, not into another house in the town but moved them out into another one where they grew up to become young girls. This is one of the differences between the book and the movie, the girls are just children in the book but in the book, they are older and you also have a storyline for them as well which I found very interesting to see.

Gillian's storyline was something quite new to me while reading the book, in the movie, Gilly was in an abusive relationship with Jimmy and when he accidentally died, she was struggling with the memory of him around her that she was unable to stop him until the last minute. while in the book, Gillian, as moved in with her sister and her nieces, her relationship with Kyle, was fun to see. But one of the things about book version Gillian is that she is able to start a relationship with a new man. It was something interesting while reading this book, I felt satisfied with her ending than I did for movie Gillian.


The magic in this book is not opened as it is in the movie, the girls grew up to believe their aunt's line of work was just ploy for money. I found it interesting that in the book, it's more suspicious while in the movie the girls grow up to be witches.

I felt that the joining of Sally and Gary in the book to be short and I can understand as to why the people behind the movie, decided to push forwars teir relationship but I felt dissatisfied with it because it pretty much the same as the book. I wanted something different for Sally but even though I love Sally and Gary, I just wanted something more for them.

I really enjoyed this book and I highly recommend this book and the movie. 


“There are some things, after all, that Sally Owens knows for certain: Always throw spilled salt over your left shoulder. Keep rosemary by your garden gate. Add pepper to your mashed potatoes. Plant roses and lavender, for luck. Fall in love whenever you can.” 

I hope you are having a lovely day

XX

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kill Me, Heal Me

Movies I Have Watched, Mention in Gilmore Girls (Day 6)

Enchanted Forest by Johanna Basford.