Book Review | Strange Weather In Tokyo by Hiromi Kawakami

Hey Everyone,

Strange Weather In Tokyo by Hiromi Kawakami

Tsukiko is in her late 30s and living alone when one night she happens to meet one of her former high school teachers, 'Sensei', in a bar. He is at least thirty years her senior, retired and, she presumes, a widower. After this initial encounter, the pair continue to meet occasionally to share food and drink sake, and as the seasons pass - from spring cherry blossom to autumnal mushrooms - Tsukiko and Sensei come to develop a hesitant intimacy which tilts awkwardly and poignantly into love.

Perfectly constructed, funny, and moving, Strange Weather in Tokyo is a tale of modern Japan and old-fashioned romance.


Published: May 2014
Publishers: Portobello Books

Form of Reading: Paperback

Pages: 176

Goodreads Star Rating: ⭐⭐⭐

Review

I've heard very little about Hiromi Kawakami, I remember seeing it as a recommends purchase on Amazon and just bought it willy-nilly. Judging from the blurb at the start, it definitely seemed that the relationship between Tsukiko and Sensei would be something romantic but the pacing and the cuts between each story were like watching a short movie, no plot just characters having a chat and a lot of alcohol. 
 My expectations for this book were very low, it had been a while since I last read a Japanese literature book and the way how Japanese novels are written they are completely different than any other book from America or the UK. 
 I found the book to be slow at parts, I felt that while reading it that these two characters didn't interest me and seeing how their friendship grows throughout the book.
 I honestly feel that by next month I would forget everything that happened in this book.

I am sorry that it's a short review, I honestly have no opinion on this book. I don't want to be the type of person who puts you off from picking this up, you and I have very different opinions on what books we like and don't like, I don't want you to not pick it up just because of my opinion.

I hope you are having a lovely day




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kill Me, Heal Me

Time To Open New Doors + Book Haul

Movies I Have Watched, Mention in Gilmore Girls (Day 6)