Book Review | North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell |

Hey Everyone,

Sorry that I have been MIA, I've been in a reading/blogging slump and felt that I needed a couple of days to step away from here until I find inspiration to blog more. I want to blog more, I want to be more active here and I didn't want to force myself to do something when I am not feeling up for it.

Anyway, here is my book review of North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell. I hope you like it.


North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell

North and South depicts a young woman discovering herself, in a nuanced portrayal of what divides people, and what brings them together.

Elizabeth Gaskell's compassionate, richly dramatic novel features one of the most original and fully-rounded female characters in Victorian fiction, Margaret Hale. It shows how forced to move from the country to an industrial town, she develops a passionate sense of social justice and a turbulent relationship with mill-owner John Thornton.


Published: 1854
Published Edition: April 2012
Publishers: Penguin Classics

Form of Reading: Paperback and Audiobook

Pages: 544

Goodreads Star Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Review

I have been wanting to pick this book up since I found out about it because I saw the mini series years ago and it never occurred to me that it was based off the book. I was told by someone from Waterstones who said that the last line in the book is her favourite part which made me even more curious to pick it up.

It took me a while for me to be fully invested in the book, I always thought that Classics are books that you have to tread very carefully with their words and also have been around for years to be considered a sacred item (not like the holy grail but the fact that it is known literature and has been around for years to be considered sacred).

I found the first half of the book a bit of an uphill battle as it was very difficult to get into. Sometimes I would just read one chapter a day and thought that was fine but with the fact that I read this book over a month made me push away all the other books and focus on this one. The audiobook was a big help if I was ever bored or I wanted to read but couldn't be bothered to pick up the physical book, I would instantly listen to it.

Margaret Hale's has so much pride in herself and her status that even though she believes that she hates John Thornton it develops a growing love towards him. Their relationship reminded me of Elizabeth Bennet and William Darcy from P&P but I enjoyed seeing Margaret and John's relationship more because it had the perspective of their feelings from both sides while for P&P it was mostly from Elizabeth's POV. I loved their interactions and seeing how they both think of each other, and I loved how much they truly feel for one another.

I highly recommend this book to anyone because it's about a woman who left the life she grew up with and looked at the other side of the window and saw the world she wanted to help. While slowly falling in love with a man. If you loved Pride and Prejudice, I would definitely suggest you read this book.

Hope you have a lovely day 

XX

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kill Me, Heal Me

Movies I Have Watched, Mention in Gilmore Girls (Day 6)

Enchanted Forest by Johanna Basford.