Book Review | On the Other Side by Carrie Hope Fletcher

Hey Everyone,


On the Other Side by Carrie Hope Fletcher

A love story like no other, this is the debut novel from Carrie Hope Fletcher, author of the Sunday Times No. 1 bestseller All I Know Now.

Evie Snow is eighty-two when she quietly passes away in her sleep, surrounded by her children and grandchildren. It's the way most people wish to leave the world but when Evie reaches the door of her own private heaven, she finds that she's become her twenty-seven-year-old self and the door won't open.

Evie's soul must be light enough to pass through so she needs to get rid of whatever is making her soul heavy. For Evie, this means unburdening herself of the three secrets that have weighed her down for over fifty years, so she must find a way to reveal them before it's too late. As Evie begins the journey of a lifetime, she learns more about life and love than she ever thought possible, and somehow, some way, she may also find her way back to her long lost love . . .

On the Other Side will transport you to a world that is impossible to forget. Powerful, magical and utterly romantic, this is a love story like no other from everyone's favourite 'big sister', Carrie Hope Fletcher.


Published: July 2016
Published Edition: February 2017
Publishers: Sphere Books

Pages: 432

Form of Reading: Paperback

Goodreads Star Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Review

I have been a longtime fan of Carrie for years, ever since her first book, All I Know Now was released. I haven't read her first book, mostly because it targets her teenage audience and I am not a teenager anymore. But when I first heard about On the Other Side I was very excited to read this book but I was reluctant to pick up the hardback because I prefer paperback so I waited to the beginning of the year to read it. And I am grateful that I finally picked it up. 

My expectation for this book was very low as I had no idea how the book was going to play out. Knowing it was going to be a woman who's soul is heavy and the only way for her to move on was to reveal secrets about her past to the most important people in her life. I found the story to be a sweet romance with a bitter ending, the relationship between Evie and Vincent is like many other first love stories how no one can replace the exciting thrill of their first time and you are constantly reminded of that person for the rest of your life. Their end of their relationship felt very flat, it wasn't anti-climatic and it felt like it had to be heartbreaking when I already knew what was going to happen. 

One of the relationships that I felt should have been looked at a bit more or maybe a reckoning in the book would have to be the relationship between Evie and Eleanor. I felt that I wanted to have seen more of a confrontational argument and to give Evie a bit more of a closure with Eleanor at the end of the book.

I really enjoyed this book, the magical realism was beautiful and enchanting, and when Carrie's new book All That She Can See, I am looking forward to seeing more magical elements in her new book. 

I am also planning to go and see her in The Addams Family Musical in June with a friend from work and I am very excited to see it.

Hope you are having a lovely day

XX

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kill Me, Heal Me

Movies I Have Watched, Mention in Gilmore Girls (Day 6)

Enchanted Forest by Johanna Basford.