Book Review | Labyrinth by Kate Mosse

Hey Everyone,

Labyrinth by Kate Mosse

10th Anniversary Edition of the spellbinding No. 1 bestselling novel.

July 1209: in Carcassonne, a 17-year-old girl is given a mysterious book by her father which he claims contains the secret of the true Grail. Although Alais cannot understand the strange words and symbols hidden within, she knows that her destiny lies in keeping the secret of the labyrinth safe ...

July 2005: Alice Tanner discovers two skeletons in a forgotten cave in the French Pyrenees. Puzzled by the labyrinth symbol carved into the rock, she realises she's disturbed something that was meant to remain hidden. Somehow, a link to a horrific past - her past - has been revealed
 


Published: 2005
Published Edition: May 2015
Publishers: Orion

Pages: 752

Form of Reading: Paperback

Goodreads Star Rating:⭐⭐⭐⭐

Review

I have seen Kate Mosse's books at the bookshops for years and I was very reluctant to pick up her books. I guess from what I remember I never saw the appeal of her books. But last month I thought "Why not?" and purchased the book. I remember the girl at the counter said that it was a great book and obviously started reading it based on her opinion. I started the book at the end of March and it took me a while to adjust to the plot. I put the book down for a couple of weeks because I felt that I wasn't going to enjoy it and read a couple of other books instead. But I couple of days ago I decided to give the book a second chance.

Alice and Alias are both given a family that they have to keep a secret and how another party is more interested in taking it from them. At first, it was difficult to follow from one perspective to another but by the end of it, it was so much easier to see the parallels in both characters journey to the end. I found that I favoured Alice's story arc, not that I hate Alias, mostly it was because it was more intriguing and the curiosity of what is about to happen. 

I think my only critique that I have is not about this book but for me.


I think I need to kick my past self for not giving this book a chance because this book was great. 


I felt the first act to be quite slow, mostly on Alias's storyline, but it did pick up about a third way into the book when you discover the connection between the two main characters and what it is that they have to protect. I felt that Alias had more of a storyline than Alice while Alice had more mystery. Alice encounters another character in the book and one of the things about this meeting and their meetings afterwards is the unknown connection to what happens to them both at the end. I felt a little cheated and curious about the two together and what makes them drawn to one another.

I have tried a few Historical Fiction books before but after reading this one, I am intrigued to read more. I highly recommend this book if you are interested in history and the cross relations from the past and the present. 

Hope you are having a lovely day

XX

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kill Me, Heal Me

Movies I Have Watched, Mention in Gilmore Girls (Day 6)

Enchanted Forest by Johanna Basford.