Ariel by Sylvia Plath | Book Review |

Hey Everyone,

How are you?


Ariel by Sylvia Plath

The poems in Sylvia Plath's Ariel, including many of her best-known such as 'Lady Lazarus', 'Daddy', 'Edge' and 'Paralytic', were all written between the publication in 1960 of Plath's first book, The Colossus, and her death in 1963.

'If the poems are despairing, vengeful and destructive, they are at the same time tender, open to things, and also unusually clever, sardonic, hardminded . . . They are works of great artistic purity and, despite all the nihilism, great generosity . . . the book is a major literary event.' A. Alvarez in the Observer

This beautifully designed edition forms part of a series with five other cherished poets, including Wendy Cope, Don Paterson, Philip Larkin, Simon Armitage and Alice Oswald.


Published: 1965
Published Edition: May 2010
Publisher: Faber and Faber

Pages: 81

Goodreads Star Rating: ⭐⭐⭐

Review

I don't consider myself an expert when it comes to poetry and I think it is one genre that I find difficult to critique. 


I enjoyed reading The Bell Jar, although that's a bit weird to like a story about how Sylvia Plath became crazy and die in a psychiatric home, but I was impressed and understand that this book was so popular. But I wasn't sure about her poetry, I liked a few but then there were some poems that didn't intrigue me. 

Some quotes/lines I enjoyed:

“Dying is an art.
Like everything else,
I do it exceptionally well.
I do it so it feels like hell.
I do it so it feels real.
I guess you could say I have a call.” 



“The slime of all my yesterdays rots in the hollow of my skull.” 


“The moon is no door. It is a face in its own right,
White as a knuckle and terribly upset.
It drags the sea after it like a dark crime; it is quiet
With the O-gape of complete despair. I live here.” 


I hope you are having a lovely day

See you soon

XX


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kill Me, Heal Me

Time To Open New Doors + Book Haul

Movies I Have Watched, Mention in Gilmore Girls (Day 6)