A Gathering of Shadows by V. E. Schwab | Book Review |

Hey Everyone,

A Gathering of Shadows by V. E. Schwab

Four months have passed since the shadow stone fell into Kell’s possession. Four months since his path crossed with Delilah Bard. Four months since Rhy was wounded and the Dane twins fell, and the stone was cast with Holland’s dying body through the rift, and into Black London.

In many ways, things have almost returned to normal, though Rhy is more sober, and Kell is now plagued by his guilt. Restless, and having given up smuggling, Kell is visited by dreams of ominous magical events, waking only to think of Lila, who disappeared from the docks like she always meant to do. As Red London finalises preparations for the Element Games—an extravagant international competition of magic, meant to entertain and keep healthy the ties between neighbouring countries—a certain pirate ship draws closer, carrying old friends back into port.

But while Red London is caught up in the pageantry and thrills of the Games, another London is coming back to life, and those who were thought to be forever gone have returned. After all, a shadow that was gone in the night reappears in the morning, and so it seems Black London has risen again—meaning that another London must fall.


Published: February 23rd, 2016
Publishers: Titan Books
Page Count: 508

Goodreads Star Rating:⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

*Warning! Spoilers ahead*
Review

Oh my goodness, my heart is still beating over this book. 


I tried to read this book in November last year but I wasn't in the mood to pick it up. I knew that the third book was expected to come out the end of this month, I thought it would be appropriate to read it before the third book is released. And I am so glad that I listened to myself. 


I had forgotten what had happened in the first book since it was months ago that I picked it up but strangely while reading this book it didn't feel like a sequel as most sequels are meant to be (Cryptic I know). What I mean is, most sequels carry on almost straight after the previous book but this one takes place 4 months when A Darker Shade of Magic finishes. You are pushed into this world and you meet the main characters, who seem familiar but have changed a lot since you last saw them. You are introduced to more characters and learn more about culture, it honestly felt like a stand-alone book. From what I remembered about the first book it was about Lila learning from Kell about the other worlds and Lila's curiosity with magic. I enjoyed learning more about Schwab's world building and the Lore that she had created for this series. 

The book made me think about Pirates of the Carribean (I think I can see the relation because I saw the new Pirates of the Carribean trailer a couple of days ago), especially with Lila. Lila is new to this new London and wants to explore as much as she can, so she is on a ship as is part of a crew. She hasn't changed much since the previous book but I can definitely say she is a lot more vicious when it comes to killing people. I love the toughness of her and her eagerness to learn more about magic. I love her storyline in this book, she very determined to be part of this new life/world that she easily forgets her old life in Grey London. 

I liked the catch-up/ build up of all main four characters. I wished to have had more chapters of Holland in White London but I was also satisfied with the chapters that Schwab had written for Holland. Kell has definitely changed since the previous book, he feels a little trapped in the palace and doesn't feel that he deserves to be part of the royal family. I loved Kell and Lila's reunion, I kept hoping that the reunion would come quicker but I also loved that they both find out about one another during the tournament. I hope to see more of their relationship in the final book because Victoria is teasing so much on Instagram and Twitter that I can't handle it.

I liked that Rhy got some chapters, I liked that I got to know him a bit more, he wasn't much in the first book and it was one of the things that I wished to have seen more. I also love the history that Rhys and Alucard had, I was completely surprised by it and I am so happy. I love Alucard, he is a fantastic character and I am looking forward to learning more about their relationship in the final book. 

Overall, I loved this book. I can't believe that I have written so much about this book. I can't imagine what it will be like when I review A Conjuring of Light. I highly recommend anyone to pick this series up because it is fantastic. The Independent stated that this book reminded of Diana Wynne Jones who wrote Howl's Moving Castle (which I have re-read, check out my review in January) and I didn't know until I realised that there are similarities to each other. Both books are amazing and you should definitely pick up the first two books before the third one comes out on the 21st.

Hope you had a lovely day

See you soon

XX

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kill Me, Heal Me

Movies I Have Watched, Mention in Gilmore Girls (Day 6)

Enchanted Forest by Johanna Basford.