Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones | Book Review |

Hey Everyone,

Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones

"How about making a bargain with me?" said the demon. "I'll break your spell if you agree to break this contact I'm under."

In the land of Ingary, where seven-league boots and cloaks of invisibility really exist, Sophie Hatter attracts the unwelcome attention of the Witch of the Waste, who puts a curse on her. Determined to make the best of things, Sophie travels to the one place where she might get help - the moving castle which hovers on the nearby hills.

But the castle belongs to the dreaded Wizard Howl whose appetite, they say, is satisfied only by the hearts of young girls...


Published: 1986
Published Edition: March 5th, 2009
Publishers: HarperCollins Children's Books

Goodreads Star Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

REVIEW

I read this book 7 years ago and I remember not liking it but I also remember not knowing what happened in this book. I was overly obsessed with the Studio Ghibli movie and I preferred the movie over the book although I am usually more of a book fan than the movie. 

While reading this book I found the book to be a lot more entertaining than what I remembered, but also I found it entertaining than the movie. All the characters are hilarious and enjoyable to read, while the characters in the movie is a bit different compared to the book. Both mediums do a fantastic job. But one of the things that didn't appear in the movie and was surprised to see in the book was Sophie and Michaels journey through the black colour door on the dial, while it's not explored in the movie but it was a surprise for me to see this.

My favourite character is Sophie, she is an entertaining old lady and a caring woman towards Howl. I really like her as an old lady, she gets to sit down all the time and have naps whenever she feels like it. I also like her curiosity to Howl, she has heard rumours about him and is always curious as to what he can do and why the Witch of the Waste hates him. 

Comparing the book to the movie is hard because I love both. I love the imagination and the vision that Hayao Miyazaki has drawn and I love Diana's creativity into giving the inspiration to turn this into a movie. 

I loved this book and highly recommend it. 

Hope you had a lovely day

See you soon

XX

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kill Me, Heal Me

Time To Open New Doors + Book Haul

Movies I Have Watched, Mention in Gilmore Girls (Day 6)