Goblin/ Goblin: The Lonely and Great God/ Guardian: The Lonely and Great God | Korean Drama Review |

Hey Everyone,


One the goals for my blog this year was to include my love for Korean Dramas, I have done one which was two years ago and is my second most viewed post. I honestly felt that I should share my love for Kdrama's a bit more and I wanted to pour my heart out as to why I love it so much.

Goblin/ Goblin: The Lonely and Great God/ Guardian: The Lonely and Great God (Yes, Korean drama land has a lot of titles for one drama. It happens a lot.)


Plot
In ancient times, Kim Shin (Gong Yoo) is an unbeatable general in wars, but the young King (Kim Min-Jae) is jealous of Kim Shin and kills him. Kim Shin becomes Dokkaebi (Goblin), possessing an immortal life. At first, he thinks that he is blessed, but he realises that he is cursed.
Closer to the present day, Kim Shin has waited 900 years for a human bride to end his immortal life. One night, he saves a dying pregnant woman (Park Hee-Von) who is destined to die. Meanwhile, the Grim Reaper (Lee Dong-Wook) is unable to find the dead pregnant woman. The woman gives birth to a baby girl named Ji Eun-Tak (later played by Kim Go-Eun). 9 years later, Ji Eun-Tak lives with her mother and is able to see ghosts. One night, her mother suddenly dies. On that night, she meets the Grim Reaper.
In the present day, Ji Eun-Tak is a high school student. She still sees ghosts and hears their whisper of “Dokkaebi’s bride.” She now lives with her aunt’s family, but she is mistreated by them. On her birthday, Ji Eun-Tak sits by the sea with a lighted birthday cake. At that time, Kim Shin suddenly appears in front of her. Kim Shin does not know why, but he can hear her voice and appears in front of her against his will. Coincidentally, Kim Shin lives with the Grim Reaper at the same house.
Now, Kim Shin appears in front of her against his will, whenever she turns off the lights. One day, Ji Eun-Tak tells him that he is Dokkaebi and she is his bride.
(Note: Dokkaebi means Goblin is Korean, this is the pronunciation of the word. Dok-Kae-Bi)

Cast:

At the end of 2016 this was one my most anticipated Korean Drama because firstly, it was the return of Gong Yoo, the last time I saw Gong Yoo was in a Korean Drama called Big with Lee Min Jung and I adored him in that drama. But I mostly and will always remember him was in a Korean Drama called Coffee Prince alongside Yoon Eun Hye. Coffee Prince is my all time favourite Korean Drama and I will forever love it (I just hope that it goes on Netflix because I will watch that show over and over again). Anyways moving on, It's been a long time since I had seen Gong Yoo and I was excited to see him again. And this role was perfect for him, as the Goblin he was charming and caring but also funny and entertaining to watch, especially with his scenes with Lee Dong-Wook who plays the Grim Reaper.


The bromance between the Goblin and the Grim Reaper was fantastic, they both are complete opposites and the relationship throughout the show is deep and meaningful but if you watch the show, towards the end their relationship changes and they both struggle with how they are feeling. Their friendship is very much like many other bromances and Gong Yoo and Lee Dong Wook did a fantastic job. One of the things I love about these two is the fact that they are people that do not understand modern technology and basic human emotion, you get to see both of them deal with human interaction and it's adorable to see them try.



The Goblin and his bride relationship were so sweet, even though she is a teenager mostly on the show but they both connect very well and have a fantastic bantering relationship. The Goblin is very smitten with her and he tries profusely to win her affections even though she loves him no matter what he does. But it is the looming of death that is driving them apart and it's painful for both of them because if Ji Eun Tak doesn't pull the sword out of the Goblin's chest she will end up dying and if she does take the sword out then she will spend the rest of her life alone without him. 



The other relationship is with the Grim Reaper and a human woman called Sunny. They meet on a bridge and the Grim Reaper cries. He is unsure as to why that happened but along the way you see the relationship get closer and closer until the reveal of what is their connection. I don't want to spoil it for you because it's best for you to find that out for yourself. The Grim Reaper is very awkward and doesn't understand about social engagement. Sunny is very outgoing and very honest about her feelings and throughout the show, she matures a lot more and understands the world that she has stepped into.






I don't want to go on any longer because I will talk non-stop about this drama to anyone. I highly recommend you watch this drama, I love it and I hope you do.

Hope you are having a lovely day

See you soon

XX

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kill Me, Heal Me

Time To Open New Doors + Book Haul

Movies I Have Watched, Mention in Gilmore Girls (Day 6)