Anno Dracula by Kim Newman (Book Review)



It is 1888 and Queen Victoria has remarried, taking as her new consort Vlad Tepes, the Wallachian Prince infamously known as Count Dracula. Peppered with familiar characters from Victorian history and fiction, the novel follows vampire Geneviève Dieudonné and Charles Beauregard of the Diogenes Club as they strive to solve the mystery of the Ripper murders.

Anno Dracula is a rich and panoramic tale, combining horror, politics, mystery and romance to create a unique and compelling alternate history. Acclaimed novelist Kim Newman explores the darkest depths of a reinvented Victorian London.


(Blurb from Goodreads)

Title: Anno Dracula
Author: Kim Newman
Published: 1992
Published Edition: May 24th, 2011
Publisher: Titan Books

Goodreads Star Rating: 4.5/5


A friend from work suggested this book to me, he had told me the premise a few times and I was very intrigued in picking it up.

I really enjoyed the book, I found the mood and the setting to be quite eery, it had that element of tension as to what happens in each chapter. The plot was very compelling, it was about vampires being accepted into society because of the union between Queen Victoria and Count Dracula but these vampires are being targeted but one of the things I liked about reading this book was the Silver Knife killer himself. He is the first character you meet when you start this book and his reason to kill all these vampires is because of something that happened to him made him lose his mind and go off on a killing spree. Which I really liked getting to know more.

The characters in this book are a mix of vampires and humans, but their interactions and how they treat one another is something I recognise in current events. Humans desire to be vampires but there are some who don't appreciate them around while the vampires that have been around a lot longer feel like they can rule the town and sleep with anyone they wish to desire. It reminds me of True Blood but no nudity but a lot more of the vampire culture itself.

But one of the things that I really liked about this book was the mention of famous literature authors, such as Bram Stoker, Mary Shelley, Oscar Wilde and Beatrix Potter. (although Beatrix was only mentioned right near the end)

Another thing that I liked about this book was the twisted take on these literature characters and to give them a different side of the coin as we originally know them. I am a huge fan of retellings and this was a REALLY good retelling. 


What I Disliked About This Book?

(I wanted to separate my likes and dislikes, so I wouldn't be confused)

Too many characters - I felt very confused with the amount of characters in this book. It would have been helpful to have a list of all the characters to pick out who is who. 
The pacing was meh - It took a while for me to get through this book and I felt the pacing be slow and they pick up a little bit and then goes straight back into slow. I would end up reading at least 2 chapters every day  because I struggled.
Count Dracula - You don't see this character until the final chapter in the book and from seeing him in only one scene, I wanted to strangle him. If you ever consider picking this book up, I warn you that it is something I wasn't expecting. 

And thus concludes this book review. It was a fantastic take on literature characters in the Victorian period and the dark twisted mind of Kim Newman is brilliant. 

Also...Have you read the book? If so what did you think?

Hope you are having a lovely day

See You Soon

XX

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kill Me, Heal Me

Movies I Have Watched, Mention in Gilmore Girls (Day 6)

Enchanted Forest by Johanna Basford.