When Marnie Was There by Joan G. Robinson (Book Review)


A major motion picture adaptation by Studio Ghibli, creators of SPIRITED AWAY and ARRIETTY.

Anna hasn’t a friend in the world – until she meets Marnie among the sand dunes. But Marnie isn’t all she seems…

Sent away from her foster home one long, hot summer to a sleepy Norfolk village by the sea, Anna dreams her days away among the sandhills and marshes.

She never expected to meet a friend like Marnie, someone who doesn’t judge Anna for being ordinary and not-even-trying. But no sooner has Anna learned the loveliness of friendship than Marnie vanishes…
 


When Marnie Was There by Joan G. Robinson
Released: January 1967.
Published Edition: July 2014

I picked this book up for the Pokemon Indigo League #ReadThemAllThon. This book was for the Cascade Badge which was a book that will make you cry, and this book did. I didn't include this book in my wrap up, mostly because I had posted it midday on Sunday and I finished the book that evening. So in total I read 6 books out of the 7 I challenge myself to do.

This book follows a young girl called Anna, she has been sent to the country by her Auntie because of her Asthma. Anna has always been doing things by herself and has never made any friends. She discovers a house while wandering town one day and she is suddenly drawn to it, she later discovers a little girl living in there. This girl is called Marnie, she is bubbly, happy and playful, but she has a lot of fears.

Both Anna and Marnie become friends, they talk about everything together, as best friends do. But soon then there are moments where they often question about where they have been as if they disappeared without a trace.

I honestly struggled with this book at the beginning. The book was not catching my attention on paper, so I ended up getting the book on Audible and I found it a lot easier. This is such a great book about children and imaginary friends, this book is about friendship and how two girls who have always felt alone in the world and discover that there will always be a friend by their side.

 I do want to see the Studio Ghibli film, I know from seeing Studio Ghibli films that I will enjoy this one and I am planning to write a movie review once I get the chance to see it.

Hope you are having a lovely day

See you soon

XX

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kill Me, Heal Me

Movies I Have Watched, Mention in Gilmore Girls (Day 6)

Enchanted Forest by Johanna Basford.