#ReadThemAllThon/August Wrap Up (61-65)


3 weeks, 8 Challenges and 7 books.

From the 14th August 2016 to the 4th September 2016 I took part in the Pokemon Indigo League #ReadThemAllThon hosted by Aentee also known as Read At Midnight.

I completed  out of 8 challenges and I am quite proud of myself. I haven't taken part of a read-a-thon before and it was so much fun to take part of this one.

I also chose a Pokemon along with this readathon and I chose Vulpix. Vulpix was one of my favourite Pokemon in the original 150. She was even able to evolve into Ninetales with  424CP.


The first book I read was Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness from the All Souls Trilogy. This book was for the Flame Badge (A book with a red cover).

I am so happy to have picked this book up. I adored the first book and I am so happy that I was able to get time to read the sequel.

This book picks off from the end of ADOW. Matthew and Diana travel back to 1591 when Queen Elizabeth the first reigned. It takes a while for Diana to adjust with the new discovery but also fascinated with the history. Diana is struggling with her magic and is in desperate need of a teacher. While searching for a teacher, their primary goal is to find the current condition of the Ashmole.

I honestly loved this book, so much discovery in this book and I mostly enjoyed Matthew and Diana's relationship. The discovery that she is pregnant with Matthew's child is surprising but it also shows Matthew very overprotective with his wife. But soon after their relationship strains with Matthews duties and his relationship with Diana.


After I read Asleep by Banana Yoshimoto. This book was for the Marsh Badge (A book with fantasy or supernatural elements).

This book was consists of three different stories with the element of sleep. Each character loses someone close to them and they are constantly reminded of their time together while also grieving.
I gave the book 3/5 stars and I didn't enjoy it. I struggled with this book, one of the three stories I enjoyed the most but the other two was not great.


Soulless by Gail Carriger
This book was for the Pewter City: Boulder Badge (Read the 1st Book in a series)

I gave this book 4/5 stars on Goodreads and I enjoyed it so much. I had this very quickly, in about three days. It took a while for me to get into the first couple of pages but soon then after that I blitz through this like a rocket. I took part in a reading sprint on Twitter with a couple of other girls who were doing the readathon and read quite a lot during that time.

The story plot itself is great, funny and witty characters, a magical element with Victoria England set as their background. And the mystery underground of the supernatural. I am very much looking forward to continuing with the rest of the series. 


The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon
This book was for the Viridian City: Earth Badge (A book with post-apocalyptic setting)

Goodreads Star Rating:4/5

I was reading this book before the readathon, but I was struggling at the beginning and when the readathon started I left it alone. I then realised later that The Bone Season was similar to the Earth Badge category and slotted the book into the readathon.

I really enjoyed this book. Once you have pasted the struggle part at the beginning and get into the clairvoyant training, it gets very interesting and put together perfectly. It gives off the vibe is Divergent and Hunger Games.


Carry On by Rainbow Rowell
This book was for Celadon City: Rainbow Badge (A Book featuring Diversity)

Goodreads Star Rating: 3/5

I was expecting to enjoy reading this book because it is by Rainbow Rowell but I struggled so badly with this book. The first half of the book was confusing and whilst you got to the second half it sort of made sense. While I enjoyed the friendship between Simon and Penelope, and Simon and Baz but there were some chapters that I wanted to get past quicker. 


I only ended up with two books unfinished. They are When Marnie Was There by Joan G Robinson and Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. I fell into a reading slump on the final week, which funnily enough I had a week off from work and only read a couple of pages. I am not disappointed about it, I am actually quite proud that I have taken part in a readathon and I enjoyed the reading time I have had in the last three weeks. 

I am considering taking part in another readathon which is going to start next week, still undecided, but it's an interesting one.

I hope you are having a lovely day

See you soon

XX

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kill Me, Heal Me

Time To Open New Doors + Book Haul

Movies I Have Watched, Mention in Gilmore Girls (Day 6)