Books 51-60



Number 51 - The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons

Goodreads Star Rating: 5/5

I have already written a full book review in June which you can see here.

Number 52 - Hear The Wind Sing/ Pinball, 1973 by Haruki Murakami

Goodreads Star Rating: 4/5

This book follows the narrator (His name is unknown) and his friend who is nicknamed The Rat. The first book mainly focuses their time living in Tokyo and being in University. The book mostly follows the narrator through his relationships, his taste of music and western pop culture.

This was the first Murakami book that I have read by him and my feelings towards this book are quite mixed. I found Hear The Wind Sing a lot  easier to read than I did with Pinball.

I found Pinball to be quite difficult to read because the sense of narration and his ambition to find a pinball machine that he desperately wants to find. And seeing The Rat trying to have a normal relationship and have a normal career and then ending up packing and leaving for good.

It's not the best but I do have quite a lot of his other books to get into.

Number 53 - Am I Normal Yet? by Holly Bourne

Goodreads Star Rating: 4/5

My expectations were very low. I had, of course, read TMOHTBI by Holly Bourne two months ago and I really enjoyed it. This book, on the other hand, was something unexpected. This book follows a girl who has OCD and she is starting her first year of college, she is afraid people would think of her as crazy and tries very hard not to admit that she has OCD. I enjoyed the friendship of the trio and their decision on being feminists.

Number 54 - The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson

Goodreads Star Rating: 4.5/5

My expectations for this book were quite low, I had bought the book out of curiosity and picked it up because I was interested in the hype that this book had on Youtube. The first two parts of this book weren't that great, I felt it be quite slow and not getting to the point. The only factor I was intrigued the most was Vin, she is a stubborn girl who doesn't trust people due to her brother's influence but as I got to know her a bit more, I really enjoyed her growth and change from the character we are introduced at the beginning. I found the magical element to be very interesting the most, it isn't like many of the other magical fantasy books that involve a wizard using spells and potions. This magical element involves metal and being able to burn it for their own purposes and how it is used throughout the book. The main goal for this band of thieves is to overthrow the current Lord Ruler who has been known to have lived for a very long time, Vin and her friends build up a plan to infiltrate and kill the Lord Ruler.

I ended up really enjoying this book, especially towards the end. I am a bit hesitant to pick up The Well of Ascension. Maybe it is because I am not sure when I will be able to continue with the series. Probably when I have completely cleared off my huge TBR shelf then I will purchase the rest of the series and read them.

Number 55 - A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami

Goodreads Star Rating: 4/5

Imagine that you were tasked to find a sheep that doesn't physically exist but you go anyway with only a picture as your vital source of hope and discovery. I am not quite sure how to explain how I personally feel about this book. Honestly, it felt as if I had dreamt everything that happened in the book and I missed out on something important. On the outside, the premise of this book seemed ridiculous and a waste of your reading time but shortly as you enter into the book, you are transfixed with the search of this specific sheep as well as your long time friend, you are learning something from the narrator's perspective.

Murakami has such an engaging style of writing, he could make something simple and stating a fact but turn it into something that is just brilliant. For example, "A silence hung in the room as if a window, open since earlier in the day, had finally been shut, the dust now settling onto the furniture" He has such a fantastic way of the description and the translation is brilliant. After reading three books by him, I am starting to enjoy his writing and excited to read more by him.


Number 56 - Head Over Heels by Jill Mansell

Goodreads Star Rating: 3/5

I first thought this book would be quite similar to the other Jill Mansell book that I have read before last month but this book was completely different. The synopsis only tells you the story of an old relationship rekindling but once you're in the book there is not rekindle. This book had an ensemble cast with each character having their own storyline. Even as I was reading this book my main interest wasn't Jessie and Toby it was Lili and Drew. Now when I read a fluffy chick lit book, I expect to see more of the focus of the two main characters Toby and Jessie, but they were pushed into a corner and you are following the other characters close to them.

Firstly the blurbed should have elaborated a bit more and secondly the focus should have been in the relationship development between Toby and Lili.

Number 57 - Just One Damned Thing After Another by Jodi Taylor

Goodreads Star Rating: 4/5

I wrote a book review on the 9th July for this book, which you can see here.

Number 58 - The Son by Jo Nesbo

Goodreads Star Rating: 5/5

I was quite sceptical reading this book. I don't know if anyone remembers last year, I read Phantom by Jo Nesbo and I didn't like it. I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy this book but somehow I was enjoying it and I even realised that I have missed reading Nesbo's books.

This book follows Sonny, he has spent 12 years in prison and has a heroin addiction. He is known to be a saint in prison, as he listens to people's confessions in the prison and one day he discovers something involving with his Dad'a death which makes him seek out revenge. He escapes prison and he has a list of people who are his targets. Following along behind him is Police Inspecter Simon Kafka, he has been a police officer for a very long time and has a gambling problem. He follows along the trail of dead bodies Sonny keeps leaving and finds out the reason as to why Sonny is doing this as well as who is the suspected person Sonny wants dead.

This is a brilliant book and I am very happy to have read it. I liked the ensemble of characters in this book, it wasn't just focused on Sonny and I enjoyed seeing the full picture from other characters POV. The pacing was done very well, I was in agony after finishing each chapter wanting to know more. This book is separate to many other books I have been reading this year, I have been reading too many fantasy books and a thriller book was refreshing to read through all the magic.

Number 59 - Dance Dance Dance by Haruki Murakami

Goodreads Star Rating: 4/5

I was pleasantly surprised with this book. I honestly thought I would not like it but strangely I did. Following along the Rat series, this is the final book and it concluded quite well. This book continues from AWSC just 4 years later, an old girlfriend haunts the main character's dreams and it takes him back to where is last saw her. Along his travels, he meets a beautiful hotel receptionist, a music loving. psychic thirteen-year-old girl and an old friend from middle school, and obviously the Sheep Man.

This book was so much easier to read than AWSC, while I was reading that book I was very confused over what was going on but with this book, I felt it be easier to read, easier to understand and the storyline is easily understandable. It was hard to grasp, for me as to why I was reading this but it was a great book to escape.

I do recommend reading the earlier books in the series like I have so you can have an understanding of the story. Although it doesn't entwine like most book series, they are connected.


Number 60 - Dragon Speaker by Elana A. Mugdan

Goodreads Star Rating: 4/5

A review has already been posted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kill Me, Heal Me

Time To Open New Doors + Book Haul

Movies I Have Watched, Mention in Gilmore Girls (Day 6)