Book Haul No.14


Every month I always seem to hate myself for buying too many books and not having enough time to read them all. I am getting to them, it's just going to take a while for me to pick them up. I like to have a variety of books in front of me, I like to see all the books in one place to ensure that I will get to them sometime this year.

This book haul has a theme. An Asian theme.

So at the end of May and during the month of June, I had been interested in reading Haruki Murakami, I follow a Booktuber who did a video on where to start with Murakami and soon after I was hooked and wanted to get every single book by him. I don't have all of them but I have some of the books that I have specifically want to read.

Most of these books are by Authors from Japan, most of them are Haruki Murakami, three books are by three different Japanese Authors, one book in link with the new Studio Ghibli film, one book set in Iceland and the final book set in the UK.


The Railway Children by E. Nesbit

To me, it was one of the most popular books/tv movies while growing up. This book followed a mother and her three children moving to the  countryside near a railway, they befriended everyone in the town and their days were filled with adventure and excitement. I had seen the tv movie adaptation loads of times while growing up and I was not aware that it was originally based off a book. I am excited to read this.

Burial Rites by Hannah Kent

I had seen this book floating around Booktube at the beginning  of the year. I ended up getting the book on Audible and started to listen to it. But I felt that I needed to have the physical copy to follow along.

This book follows a woman who is about to be executed for murder and the story is told through flashbacks and present day. I have heard so many positive reviews that I really wanted to try this book out.

When Marnie Was Here by Joan G. Robinson

This book follows a girl called Anna who is being sent to the countryside due to her asthma she encounters a house that has been abandoned and Anna discovers that there are people living inside.

This book has been adapted into the new Studio Ghibli film. I haven't seen it but I will definitely get the DVD when it is released.

Strange Weather in Tokyo by Hiromi Kawakami

This book follows a woman who reunites with her old high school teacher. They coincidently meet at a bar and soon they grow a friendship which then turns into love.

I just found the book randomly on Amazon and really liked the blurb of the book. The book made me realise that I have not read a book with a teacher/student relationship and I am intrigued with this one.

In The Miso Soup by Ryu Murakami

This book follows an American tourist in Japan for the very first time and his tour guide is suspecting that the man he is showing Tokyo is actually a serial killer and fears for his life.

I had seen the book on The BookHoarder's video (video here), she basically vlogs her days reading and she was reading this book which caught my attention. I was not much aware of the books premise but I trust Dana's opinion on books so I thought I would purchase it and see how I feel about it.

Asleep by Banana Yoshimoto

This book follows three women who are bewitched into a spiritual sleep. One woman is sleepwalking, another is in a relationship with a man who's wife is in a coma and the final women find her sleep haunted.

I had heard of Yoshimoto's work is similar with Haruki Murakami and I was interested picking up one of her books. I am not expecting much from her but I have been reading all the positive reviews of her work on Goodreads and hope I will enjoy the book.


Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami

A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami

Dance Dance Dance by Haruki Murakami

I have tried to summarise the plot for each of these titles but I have been unable to make sense out of it without the words going all over the place. So I will summarise Murakami instead.

Murakami's work is mostly contemporary with a mix of magical realism. I have only read the first two books in The Rat quartet which don't have a lot of magical realism but most of the book titles above are quite known to have magical realism.

Now you might have noticed that in one of my book hauls at the very beginning of the year I got A Wild Sheep Chase with a different cover. Well... *sigh* I ended up getting a different cover, to be honest, I have become a bit of a cover buyer recently and when I wanted to get the other Murakami books, the editions above were the only ones that I could find so I thought it would be easier to have similar book covers than multiple different covers. Although as I am writing this I realise that I have a Vintage International edition of Wind and Pinball by Murakami, I wanted the new Vintage International editions but they are only currently available in America.

Thus concludes my book haul. I have to admit that I am trying really hard not to buy so many books every single month but the temptation to get them is addicting. I am unsure a number of books I will buy this month since it is my birthday in 8 days, so I am probably expecting myself to buy a lot of books this month but I honestly feel that I have enough books to last for the rest of the year.

Hope you are having a lovely day and I will see you soon.

XX

P.S. I apologise for my absence, I have not been in the blogging mood and I haven't been reading much in June. Hopefully, this will change this month and hopefully, a wrap up will be coming soon.

Comments

Popular Posts