The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons - Book Review


(Blurb)

A love of extraordinary power

Leningrad, 1941. Two sisters, Tatiana and Dasha, share the same bed, living in one room with their brother and parents. It is hard, impoverished life, yet the Metanovs know many who are not as fortunate as they.

The family routine is shattered on 22 June 1941 when Hitler invades Russia. For the Metanovs, for Leningrad and for Tatiana, life will never be the same again. On that fateful day, Tatiana meets a brash young officer named Alexander. 

The family suffers as Hitler's army advance on Leningrad, and the Russian winter closes in. With bombs falling and the city under siege, Tatiana and Alexander are drawn to each other in an impossible love. 

Confronted on one hand by Hitler's unstoppable war machine and on the other by a Soviet system determined to crush the human spirit, Tatiana and Alexander are pitted against the very tide of history, at a turning point in the century that made the modern world.

First published in 1997
Published in 2000
Genre: Historical Fiction, Romance, Adult, 
Goodreads Star Rating: 5/5

Thoughts

Firstly, I picked up this book because I saw the book in video on Booktube, I had seen the book in a fair few times and so I looked it up. Basically the blurb (above) was really interesting and I thought "Why not?" I got the book a month ago and I didn't want to read it straight away but I kind of wished I did. 

This book follows Tatiana and her family discovering that Hitler is invading Russia. Tatiana's parents send away Tatiana's twin brother, Pasha to a camp outside of Leningrad because her father doesn't want his only son dying during the war. Tatiana is tasked to collect the daily rations, until she meets a soldier, Alexander. They are then drawn to one another, only for their first meeting to be shattered after discovering Tatiana's sister, Dasha is actually in love with Alexander. Their feelings for one another grow but they also hide it from Dasha and the rest of Tatiana's family. They go through a lot pain and suffering due to the invasion and it puts a strain in their relationship.

Tatiana is a shy 17 year old girl but is also able to stand up for herself, especially in front of her father, and she likes to tell jokes to lighten up the situation. Her family basically use her to their advantage by making her go out and getting the food, cooking and cleaning, and she is willing to help for her family. She has a pure heart, filled with innocence and genuine care for others. And for Alexander, how should I best describe him? Caring, passionate, confident, protective, fearless and just an all round brilliant male lead. Alexander is drawn to Tatiana, her pain is what makes him want to shield her from the world, He genuinely would die for her and through their continuous fights they both always run back to one another.

This books is amazing, I fell in love after the first chapter. I don't read a lot of WW2 novels, mostly because I feel that they aren't what I am interested but with WW2 as the books setting background, I really liked it. The writing was amazing, great world building, the description was fantastic, the romance and relationship with all the characters were brilliant and it honestly deserves a 5 star from me, I was so immersed into the book that I honestly felt that I was there with them, it felt as if I had forgotten that I was in my bedroom reading this. I highly recommend this book to anyone who has not picked this book up.

“Love is,” she repeated slowly, looking only at Dasha, “when he is hungry and you feed him. Love is knowing when he is hungry” 
― Paullina SimonsThe Bronze Horseman

“Love is, to be loved,” said Alexander, “in return.” 
― Paullina SimonsThe Bronze Horseman

Hope you are having a lovely day

See you soon

XX

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kill Me, Heal Me

Time To Open New Doors + Book Haul

Movies I Have Watched, Mention in Gilmore Girls (Day 6)