The Manifesto On How To Be Interesting by Holly Bourne (Book Review)


Apparently I'm boring. A nobody. But that's all about to change. Because I am starting a project. Here. Now. For myself. And if you want to come along for the ride then you're very welcome.

Bree is a loser, a wannabe author who hides behind words. Most of the time she hates her life, her school, her never-there parents. So she writes.

But when she's told she needs to start living a life worth writing about, The Manifesto on How to Be Interesting is born. Six steps on how to be interesting. Six steps that will see her infiltrate the popular set, fall in love with someone forbidden and make the biggest mistake of her life.

Goodreads Star Rating: 5/5

So back in February, I saw a book review over on paperutopia (link here.) and shortly after reading the review, it sparked my interest to read it.

I had been putting off this book for a quite a while now, mostly because I ACTUALLY forgot about it. Not going to lie. I re-organize my TBR shelf and this book was at the bottom of the pile and was hidden behind my panda speaker (poor unfortunate soul).


Anyway back to the review...

If you are expecting this book to be like The DUFF or a book version of Mean Girls, you're wrong. This book follows the teenage life that is not romanticise in movies, the female lead doesn't fall in love with the popular guy in the school and the lead mean girl is actually...human.

This book follows a girl trying to prove to herself that she can do something that could make her noticed and recognised at school. Just by changing her clothes, wearing make-up and changing her hair style, she was easily recognised. Not by the popular group of the entire school but also people who knew her before the transformation.

I loved Bree, even through the transformation she was able to be the same person as she was at the beginning of the book. Usually with books with similar themes the main lead tends to change and become an honorary member of the popular crowd, even though Bree was part of the group she was still able to be herself, which is what I love about her..

Her relationship with Holdo should have been explored more, he was very limited in the book and I wished to have seen more of him. Their friendship was lovely and sweet but it was washed away when Bree started her manifesto.

Speaking of Manifesto, I was expecting to see more blog posts in this book. When she first started the blog I was hoping that there would be more than just one post, but at the same time I'm kind of glad that it wasn't included. It made the focus on the story and not how she altered the names and not reveal any information about herself, but I also liked Bree's writing style, it was intriguing and enjoyable to read.

This deals with some issues that young girls can definitely relate to, this book deals with self harming. It is something that took me by surprise, I wasn't expecting anything like it and the way it was handled was interesting to see. One of the other things that occurred was Bree's relationship towards her English teacher, for me personally it felt a little strange for me to see mostly it is because I have never read a book with a student and teacher relationship. It felt uncomfortable to see their relationship outside school and the way it was handled at the end of the book was what I was expecting coming from a sensible solution.

Overall, I really enjoyed the book. I read the book quite quickly and I am looking forward to reading Am I Normal Yet? It was a really good book and you should definitely pick this book up.


Hope you are having a lovely day

See you soon

XX

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kill Me, Heal Me

Movies I Have Watched, Mention in Gilmore Girls (Day 6)

Enchanted Forest by Johanna Basford.