Frostfire by Amanda Hocking (Book Review)



Will she give up her dream to follow her heart?

Bryn Aven is determined to gain status amongst the Kanin, the most powerful of the hidden tribes. But as a half-blood, winning respect is a huge challenge. Bryn's almost-human community distrusts people, and those from other tribes are almost as suspect.

She has just one goal to get ahead: to join the elite guard protecting the Kanin royal family. And Bryn's vowed that nothing will stand in her way, not even a forbidden romance with her boss, Ridley Dresden.

But her plans are put on hold when fallen hero Konstantin starts acting dangerously. Bryn loved him once, but now he's kidnapping Kanin children - stealing them from hidden placements within human families. She's sent to help stop him, but will she lose her heart in the process?


Thoughts

Goodreads Star Rating: 4/5

I read this book very quickly, almost in a day. I found the characters and the world building really captivating and very interesting. I was not aware that this book was a spin-off and I didn't even notice, 

I thought Bryn was a strong and determined to make herself a great soldier, Willing to work twice as hard to prove to people that she can do this job, it shows throughout the book her commitment to prove her mum and dad as well as Ridley. 

Ridley on the other hand was...um...he's alright, I wasn't overly liking him. He reminds me of the most popular guy in high school who has a girlfriend but also has a crush on the girl that's not in his social of friends. It kind of felt like that and probably explains why I prefer Konstantin than Ridley. Everyone kept mentioning him (Konstantin) and all I wanted was to see more of him and wonder why he is being so cryptic when he is talking to Bryn. I like how he calls her White Rabbit and how he knew that she liked him, I just liked how he pursed her (warning/protecting her) and that you can tell that there is more about him than what he did before he became a traitor. Personally I feel that Bryn does still harber feeling for him but those feeling can be different from when she first started liking him when she was 15.

Her relationship with her mum is very complicated, her mum has very strong opinions about her being a guard and it really irritates Bryn which leads to a strained relationship with her Mum. The story of how her parents got married and how it affected their families, making Bryn be a stranger to other members of the family. Bryn doesn't have a magical gift which is one of the reasons why she chose to be a tracker. I thought her job to be very interesting and she obviously enjoys it much to the dismay of her protective Mother.. 

I felt that the different types of families could be explained more, or could be explained at the end of the book just in case people didn't understand like myself. 

Overall I really enjoyed the book and I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series. 

Hope you are having a lovely day

See you soon

XX


Comments

Popular Posts