Book Review: The Book Of Lost Things by John Connolly



High in his attic bedroom, twelve-year old David mourns the loss of his mother. He is angry and he is alone, with only the books on his shelf for company. But those books have begun to whisper to him in the darkness, and as he takes refuge in the myths and the fairytales so beloved of his dead mother he finds that the real world and the fantasy world have begun to meld. The Crooked Man has come, with his mocking smile and his enigmatic words:" Welcome, your majesty. All hail the new king."

And as war rages across Europe, David is violently propelled into a land that is both a construct of his imagination yet frighteningly real, a strange reflection of his own world composed of myths and stories, populated by wolves and worse-than-wolves, and ruled over by a faded king who keeps his secrets in a mysterious. legendary book...

Blurb Description


THOUGHTS?

This is a book that has been with me for about three years now. I got this book in 2012 and I started to read this book, only to stop reading because I wasn't enjoying it or even interested. This book was recommended to me by an employee at Waterstones and I picked it up out of curiosity. I got the book based off his opinion because...well...he works at Waterstones,..so of course he would recommend some books to people. So I picked up the book and started to read it only to stop and didn't think much of it. 

Three years later and I realise that I should give the book another go but the second time, I barely opened the book(I know...I am a stupid person). So for the third try, I decided to get the audiobook from Audible and listen to the book at work. AND IT WORKED. The book was narrated by Nick Rawlinson and he is a brilliant voice actor. He voices out the characters so different to one another and can make the whole world building just magical. 

For the last couple of months I have been reading fairytale retellings and you should definitely pick this book up. It has so many fairytales throughout of the entire book and what it great is that you get to read more about the fairytales twisted stories and where is originated from. I was so compelled with the darker interpretation of the fairytales, I grew to enjoy this book.

The world building is magical, think of Narnia but no evil queen and a talking lion. Along the journey through this story, you'll find many other fairytales and even though you know the original tale or the one filled with singing and dancing, it is truly fascinating to read a very different twist at the end of the story. It sort of implies that the stories in this world don't have a happy ending, which is interesting.

This book really follows David and his struggle over the death of his mother, he is still mourning for her and he constantly misses her. The book is set during World War 2, the reason why I am mentioning this is because he lives in London and had to move into a new house with his father's new wife and child (Yeah...should have mentioned that). David doesn't accept his newly mother and his half brother, and I can understand how he feels although I didn't personally experience that while growing up but seeing it through the eyes of David it kind of made me mourn the memory of his mother and seeing his dad with another woman, it's heartbreaking. 

I was completely captivated with this book and I will forever slap myself for not picking up the book sooner. I even highly recommend you listen to this book on Audible because Rawlinson is brilliant.

I hope you have a lovely day 

XX

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kill Me, Heal Me

Time To Open New Doors + Book Haul

Movies I Have Watched, Mention in Gilmore Girls (Day 6)