The Rose Revived by Katie Fforde



Hi

I haven't done a book review in ages and I haven't had the time to write one. 

So I will be reviewing The Rose Revived by Katie Fforde.

Published in May 2003, This is Fforde's second released novel.





If May, Sally and Harriet didn't need the money so badly. They definitely wouldn't be working for Slimeball Slater at Quality Cleaners. So when they discover it's Slimeball taking them to the cleaners, they decide to set up their own business - and that's when things really start to take off.

Working for themselves gives them the freedom and independence they've been longing for. May can afford the mooring fee for he beloved narrowboat; Harriet discovers a true gift for painting and Sally's dream of a place of her own is fast becoming reality. But is it too much, having much success of their working lives, to expect similar success in their romantic ones?

Goodreads star rating: 3/5

I have been a fan of Fforde's book for years and just recently, I have been interested to get back into her world. 

It has been a couple of years since I picked up a Fforde book and it took me a while to get into the pace of this book. But once I got into the book a lot more and got to know the characters a lot more, I began to enjoy the book more.

May was a very interesting character, she lives on a boat (which she got by her ex-boyfriend) and tries to tackle that she cannot afford to pay up for allowing her to stay. Once she becomes a cleaner, she is unsure of the job but takes on the task. She encounters her love interest, Hugo the lawyer, during one of her job duties and she isn't impressed with the lawyer but accepts his help with her boat and business problems.

Sally is the ambitious character, she is an actress and took the cleaning job much to the dismay of her neurotic boyfriend, Piers(who I am glad we don't particularly see). She doesn't particularly like the job but accepts it, during one of her job duties she meets James. James is a farmer and the flat that Sally is cleaning is his late uncle's home. Sally grows feelings for him not knowing what to do and hopes for something more with him. 

Harriet is the quite, shy artistic character, she has a lot of problems after leaving her strict controlled grand-parents and leaving her 10 year old son. She has had previous experience in cleaning, which helps the other girls. She meets Leo, a obnoxious artist who avoids a relationship with her but allows her to be part of his acting classes.

Review:

It took me a while get back into Fforde's books as it has been a couple of years since I have last read her books. 

The Rose Revived is not my favourite book, it was a very interesting story and it did get a bit more interesting once I continued reading. 

I found the romantic interest very interesting and entertaining. May and Hugh had a lot of arguing, which made me smile. It had seemed that as a reader, you will see a lot of chapters of May mostly throughout the book as it seemed she had a important story plot line. I love the pairing, their fiction with one another is funny and it was entertaining.

Sally and James have that sweet romantic relationship. James is the most lovable and caring character that I have come across, throughout the book you are unsure if there is to be a relationship. It seemed that James wasn't particularly interested in Sally and Sally couldn't understand. I think this relationship was a lot more interesting, in my perspective.

Harriet and Leo were a relationship that I wanted to see more. Leo is very cold towards Harriet and he doesn't really show any interest. Harriet follows every order he gives to her and does it but he doesn't say a simple thank you or anything. Whilst reading the book, I noticed that there weren't many chapters of Harriet and Leo and there wasn't much character development. I wanted to see the two of them a lot more. Harriet's history with her Grand-parents were very interesting and how she got her son Matthew wasn't much explored (I had actually hoped that Leo would have been the Father as I think it would have in interesting twist). I was very disappointed.  

I felt the book sort of didn't pay any attention to their cleaning business as I had hoped to have seen. It felt more concentrated to the romantic relationships more. 

I gave the book 3/5 stars as the book was very enjoyable but there are a few things that I wished to have seen more and parts that I wanted to see less.

I hope I didn't ramble too much. I enjoyed the book, I missed Fforde's style of writing and definitely recommend you all to read one of her books or this one. 

I hope you guys are enjoying your day.

See you soon

Happy Reading xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kill Me, Heal Me

Movies I Have Watched, Mention in Gilmore Girls (Day 6)

Enchanted Forest by Johanna Basford.