January Wrap-up

So I thought I would change my blog posts around.

I thought I would do the end of the month wrap-up as an easier way to write about the books that I have read in month and I would choose which book that I liked the most as a book review.

So on with the wrap-up.

Note: No one asked me to do this, I thought it would be a better idea to organize it this way. Enjoy.

In total I have read 8 books this month.

So the first book that I read at the beginning of the year was Veronica Mars The Thousand Dollar Tan Line by Rob Thomas and Jennifer Graham. Since I have already did a full blog post of the book I will leave the link here.

The second book I read next was Cinder by Marissa Meyer. I have also done a book review so I will leave the link here.

The third book I read after Cinder was Scarlet, the second book in the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer.


Scarlet takes place right after the events from Cinder, Cinder is imprisoned and has now been publicly known as a Lunar and a disfigured Cyborg who is set to be executed by the orders of Queen Levana. With the help of Dr Erland, Cinder has been given a new hand and foot and uses her new equipment to help her escape. We are then introduced to Scarlet Benoit, her grandmother is missing and the police are not willing to help. She enlists the help of a street fighter called Wolf and they both set off to Paris to look for Scarlet's Grandmother. 

This book was amazing, to recognize some scenes in the book as similar to the original story was very cool to look into. There are moments that have been taken from the original story and twisting it, to make it something so incredible fantastic is just brilliant. 

There is this scene where Scarlet reunites with her Grandmother only to be tricked was pure genius and that was when I realized that Wolf is not the Big Bad Wolf but he is the Huntsman who saves Little Red Riding Hood. Pure Genius.


The 4th book I read after was Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell.

This book is completely fantastic. I really really loved this book so much. This book is so adorable and light hearted, probably one of the best Young Adult Contemporary books this year (and it has already just started)


I love how this story is about a girl who feels comfortable writing fanfiction about two of her favourite characters and creating scenarios that involve them being together. I love Cath and Levi's relationship, he was the first person she met on the first day of collage and he has become such a loyal and lovable person towards Cath. I also like Reagan, she is the complete opposite to Cath and becomes a really great friend towards Cath. I wasn't in favour to Wren (Cath's twin sister), to me she seemed to be a person that I didn't want to hang out with. I just didn't really like her a lot.



Next I finally finished John Constantine Hellblazer Original Sins Volume 1.

This is Graphic Novel is a collection of British, smooth-talker John Constantine. It has 9 stories from the Hellblazer series and 2 stories from another series called Swamp Thing, they were included because they introduced John Constantine for the first time. 

I got this is in November and it has taken a while for me to complete and I am very happy that I finished it. This colours are very bold, you can definitely tell that this was designed years ago, it is beautifully drawn and the colours make it even more spectacular. 

This was the first Graphic Novel that I have EVER read, so it took me a while to adjust to the fluidity of the story but overall I really liked it. 


Next I read The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski.

This book follows Kestrel, she is the daughter of a General and he has been persuading her to join the army and she has refused countless of times. She doesn't want to join the army but also her second choice is to marry and she doesn't want that either. One day Kestrel goes to a slave auction and purchases her own slave. The both seem to get a long very well but Kestrel soon later develops feelings towards him.

This book is really good. I love Kestrel, she reminds me of Veronica Mars. She knows people's secrets and exposes them in her own way, she is very intelligent and knows too much. Her flaw is that she is not very good in a fight. She never wanted to fight but at times I just really wanted her to.


Next, Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas.

Anna and her friends go off to Aruba for spring break. Anna's best friend has been found dead and everyone believes that Anna killed her.

I have never read a story much like this before and I was intrigued. The book was a good read (Finished it in a day). I really felt very sorry towards Anna, people believe that she killed Elise but she knows that she is innocent and that matters. 

I hate Tate(Anna's boyfriend) he is a terrible boyfriend. He wasn't there for her when she needed him and then when he left her, on her own, she felt betrayed and so did I.


Then, I read Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins.

Anna is a sixteen year old girl and has known all her life that she is able to feel and see peoples emotions. She meets Kaidan and discovers that he is much like her. Then he shows her how to use her abilities and she discovers a lot about herself and her new friend.

This book was really good, I liked it. I have never approached a book about angels and demons before and I was glad I picked this book up. The style of writing was very easy to read, the story kept you very interested in the book, I also liked how Anna was different than the others and her attraction to Kaidan was lovely and sad to read (you might have to read the book to understand). 

At that concludes my January 2015 wrap-up. I hope you get the chance to read these books and if you have then I am very sorry because I am behind on book reading.

Thanks xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kill Me, Heal Me

Movies I Have Watched, Mention in Gilmore Girls (Day 6)

Enchanted Forest by Johanna Basford.